Your desire can dwindle.
Recent studies have indicated there is growing evidence that a lack of decent sleep affects the sexuality of both men and women.
Women married to executive, workaholic men, often take strain in the bedroom because husbands are either too tired, or unable to perform, due to poor sleep habits.
Research has it that being tired is now the most common reason women give to avoid having sex. In the past, the white lie of a headache or migraine, was the main reason.
Feeling tired, though, may now be nearer the truth, especially in the case of women who have sleep problems, and do not get the benefits of a good night’s sleep.
Sexual desire is a complicated matter, and there can many causes that have a negative impact on libido, but a poor sleep pattern is definitely a major cause on its own.
Even if only one partner suffers from a lack of sleep, the sexuality of both partners is affected.
How lack of sleep affects a man’s sexuality.
· A lack of sleep can lower your sperm count because the body releases fewer reproduction hormones when the sleep cycle is interrupted. This may result in fertility problems.
· A study from the University of Chicago revealed that a chronic lack of sleep can absolutely destroy sex drive in men, and poor sleep patterns have been linked to erectile dysfunction.
· Research has indicated that men who do not get enough sleep, less than 5 hours per night, especially younger men who like to party and burn the midnight oil, had 15% less testosterone than normal. This is equivalent to the loss which occurs in 10 to 15 years of aging. Low levels of testosterone are a major cause of low libido.
· Losing sleep raises your stress levels, and increased levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, is pumped into the bloodstream. Higher than normal levels of cortisol have been scientifically proven to disrupt the male libido, by blocking testosterone’s beneficial effects on the body.
Get help if necessary to get much-needed quality sleep on track. It is the quality of sleep you get that matters much more than the quantity.
How a woman’s libido can be affected by lack of sleep.
· Sleep deprivation leads to increased stress and higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol. High cortisol also leads to lower estrogen and progesterone which are necessary for sexual desire.
· Women also need a certain amount of testosterone, and the small amount necessary is produced in the ovaries. The lack of decent sleep can affect the production of testosterone in the ovaries, leading to, among other things, a drastic drop in libido.
· The lack of sleep not only impacts a woman’s desire for sex, but also leads to ovulation problems which affects fertility.
The endocrine system.
Progressive research recognises that lack of sleep and poor sleep quality are directly linked to disruption of the endocrine (hormonal) system. This results in lower levels of estrogen in women, and lower levels of testosterone in men. The hormone imbalances lead to roller coaster mood swings, stress, and almost no desire for a sexual encounter.
Ways to improve your sleep quality.
There are natural ways to improve your sleep quality. These include cutting down on caffeine intake, only eating a light meal at night, get some exercise early in the evening, take at least 15 minutes to unwind before you go to bed, and ensure that all digital appliances are switched off. While some of these methods may help, they do not often get to the root of the problem, or help your libido.
There is a better way.
Research has shown that stress and anxiety are two of the main causes of sleeplessness and insomnia. You could resort to medication such as sleeping pills or antidepressants, to help you get to sleep. However, these medications have side effects which will throw your libido even further into disarray.
But there is a better, more effective way to deal with sleeplessness. Medical science is now recommending that hypnotherapy treatment is a very promising way to get the job done.
How hypnotherapy can help you.
Extensive sleep research has shown that cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) together with hypnotherapy is one of the best ways to deal with poor sleep patterns, bad sleeping habits, as well as anxiety, all of which play a major role in sleep problems.
· Hypnosis, or hypnotherapy, accesses the subconscious mind to focus on understanding the problem, and initiate change in harmful patterns of behaviour. Previous unresolved trauma, stress and anxiety, are believed to be underlying causes of sleep disturbances.
· Many sleep disorders that are made worse by emotional issues like negative thought patterns, as well as anxiety, are very successfully treated with hypnotherapy.
· For the best outcome, the therapist will design a unique treatment program to suit your personal circumstances.
· You will also learn how to relax and clear your mind of stress and other issues which may be affecting your sexual desire.
There is an abundance of documented proof that hypnosis will be most beneficial to fully restore your sleep cycle – and your libido – to its former glory.