The effectiveness of hypnosis for migraines.
About migraines – an overview.
A migraine is a violently painful headache, which is often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and blurred vision. You may also experience throbbing head pain, sensitivity to light, sounds, and sometimes even smells. The migraine usually lasts about 4 hours, but a severe attack could go on for up to 72 hours.
This is a debilitating form of a headache, and many folk are unable to go to work during a migraine episode. School-going children and other students may be similarly affected, and many may be sent home for the day if the attack occurs during school hours.
Although many people believe that a migraine happens suddenly, there are in fact symptoms which gradually build-up. Unfortunately, because migraines often begin in childhood or adolescence, the sometimes subtle warning symptoms are not always recognised.
Changes to be aware of include unusual mood swings from depression to euphoria, food cravings, frequent yawning, and neck stiffness. An aura, which is zigzag vision of various colours, may also flash in front of your eyes, and another migraine-warning sign.
What causes migraines?
Although extensive research is ongoing, the actual causes of migraines are not yet fully understood by medical science. Migraines therefore often go undiagnosed and untreated.
However, studies have shown there are some common factors which may trigger a migraine attack. These include:
· Family history. A family member who suffered from migraines could raise your risk of developing migraines.
· Gender.Women are 3 times more likely to suffer from migraines than men. This may be due to hormonal changes, with migraines occurring either before, or during menstruation, when there is a drop in estrogen levels.
· Foods.Mature cheeses, very salty foods, as well as processed foods and take-out meals, are also known to trigger migraines.
· Food additives.The sweetener aspartame, and preservative monosodium glutamate, may also trigger migraines resulting from an allergic reaction to the additives.
· Physical factors.Very intense physical exertion, even vigorous sexual activity, has also been known to set off a migraine attack.
· Medicationssuch as oral contraceptives, and meds which dilate veins and arteries, may also play a role.
· Psychological.Major stress and anxiety, whether from home situations, or work related issues, are seriously high risks for developing migraines.
Migraine attacks can cause severe pain which can last for hours, and sometimes for days.
Traditional treatments for migraines.
There are basically 3 treatment protocols doctors may use to treat migraines. They include (1) symptomatic for treating an active migraine, (2) meds to treat a migraine which is about to occur, and (3) long-term preventative medication.
The bad news is that these medications often do not work, and many may have unpleasant side effects. The most common side effects include nausea, weight gain, and possible heart problems such as an irregular heartbeat.
How medical hypnosis, or hypnotherapy, can help deal with migraines.
Researchers have been studying the effects of hypnotherapy on pain for more than 40 years, and studies have also indicated that hypnosis can help manage the pain symptoms of migraines. Hypnotherapy works by accessing the subconscious mind where the root cause of migraines, like underlying stress and anxiety, may be.
The subconscious mind has an undeniable ability to manifest itself through feelings, and even pain, in the physical body. If your migraines are indeed stress related, a competent hypnotherapist, will be able to identify this issue, and provide the appropriate treatment.
Sometimes the migraines may be nothing more than repeats of a former stressful event, and dealing with the root cause will release it from the subconscious mind, so that the symptoms also subside.
How hypnotherapy works.
The therapist may use a combination of hypnosis, cognitive behavioural therapy CBT – which is used in a range of issues which include depression and anxiety, or Resource Therapy. All of these, and particularly resource therapy, help to overcome pain, depression, and anxiety, by showing you how to move away from the negative part of your personality, to another part of the mind which is better equipped to do the job.
Treating migraines with hypnosis is a more cost effective alternative to spending cash on prescription drugs, which may eventually become a never ending cycle.
Hypnosis will teach you how to recognise warning signs, and take action to help yourself.