The Inconsistencies of Procrastination.
A comprehensive study has revealed that procrastinators often have limited abilities to complete tasks, feel more miserable than others, tend to waste money on trivial things, and put off some vital economic decisions like saving or investing money for retirement. Serial procrastinators not only put off work they need to do, many also lose opportunities such as waiting too long to buy tickets for events, or even book for vacations in spite of knowing that vacancies are in short supply.
A genuine lack of organizational skills is not the only reason for procrastination, extensive research has shown that psychological factors may also play a huge part in the time-wasting condition.
Personal emotional turmoil can manifest itself in many ways, and although it is not generally well known, emotions have a major role in promoting procrastination in some people.
Psychological factors which may cause ingrained patterns of procrastination.
· Lack of confidence. A lack of self-confidence can be more than just that, it may be a specific belief that you are unable to complete a particular kind of task. You may put off a job because you do not think you are organised enough to actually start, let alone complete it.
· Low self-esteem. Self-criticism and low self-esteem go hand in hand. Self-esteem issues usually begin in childhood years, sometimes because of a lack of friends, emotionally distant or critical parents, and possibly a parent who is also afflicted with low self-esteem. Unrealistic expectations of oneself can lead to poor concentration and the inability to get properly organised to start any work.
· Negative internal messages. These messages that you communicate to yourself can leave you feeling that you have no value as a person. Counteract the negativity by making positive affirmations that although we are all different, we all have value, and that you are no exception.
· Irrational ideas. You may be entertaining unfounded beliefs that those who really care for you actually don’t want you to succeed, because you are afraid they might not care as much if you are successful. Nothing could be further from the truth, but it feeds your procrastination, and you do nothing to change the status quo.
· Discouragement. Repeated failure to put off important tasks that have to be done, can lead to discouragement and depression, resulting in anxiety and even more challenging levels low self-esteem and self-criticism.
· Fears. Illogical fears of the unknown, as well as fears of success and failure, have the potential to paralyze your efforts to deal with procrastination, and can leave you indefinitely stranded in no man’s land.
Dealing with psychological issues affecting procrastination problems will be challenging, and take serious work to succeed in changing negative beliefs into positive affirmations.
There is no magic pill that can change you from a procrastinator into a workaholic at the click of a finger. There are no shortcuts.
Working on your self-esteem, self-confidence, and any tendencies for self-criticism, must be a priority. Work tirelessly to eliminate those 3 damaging self-effacing habits from your mindset. Studies have shown that procrastination is mainly caused by a combination of the malignant “self-pity, poor me” issues.
There is no illusion that procrastination is indeed a very human tendency, and as such can never be completely be avoided. We may all occasionally put something off for another day, but that cannot really be construed as procrastination. The muck only hits the fan when it becomes a habit, and we consistently delay getting stuck into important tasks, which can have a negative impact on lifestyle, careers, and even education.
The solution is to get your priorities into line, and get expert help if you are struggling to cope with psychological issues relating to the problem of procrastination.
There are many strategies to begin to turn the tide on the habits that have made you feel stuck in the past. How woyld you like to begin to relax and discover the power of self-hypnosis? Please click the button below and feel the benefits of hypnosis today.